Wednesday 14 January 2009

Low-key

Last night I did an open mic night. The Brunswick in Holland Road, Brighton.

I was trying to think of it as a low-key performance. I dressed down and told myself I was going to make mistakes. I was telling myself anything that would take the pressure of performance off so that I could just get up and knock out a couple of songs. This all changed when my girlfriend invited a few friends, who then invited other friends, and then there were about ten people round our table waiting for me to go on!

The acts started and I was feeling nervous. My heart was racing and no matter how much I tried to rationalise things I couldn't control it. Then a guy came on who was doing all twiddly rock guitar stuff, his fingers moving up and down the fretboard at a lightning pace. I knew instinctively that I would be next and sure enough I was asked to get ready to go on.

"Great", I said sarcastically down the boomy microphone, "That was a great act to follow. Thanks". I got a laugh. Hope the guitar guy didn't take it the wrong way!

I started playing The Junior Architect. Heart pounding. I looked down at my fingers picking out the notes but they didn't seem to be hitting the strings properly. They wouldn't relax enough to play properly. I struggled on and started singing. Jesus my voice sounded loud! My voice sounded okay but my guitar picking was awful... every note was wrong, some notes weren't coming out. I abandoned my picking half way through and strummed it instead. This was better even though I had never strummed it before.

I got through that song. Not too bad except I was annoyed that I couldn't have picked the tune. My fingers had just turned to mush. I made a quick decision and rather than try to pick another tune I opted for an easily strummed song: Down the Line. I know this really well so I could relax a bit more and I think I got through it okay.

I got some good feedback. My friends said it was good and congratulated me. Obviously they would, but it was nice none the less.

I waited around and played guitar with Annie for a couple of songs, one of which Annie dedicated to my girlfriend. I really enjoyed playing this time. It felt like all the pressure was off because I'd done my songs. I fluffed it a couple of times but it didn't matter to me. I was just having fun.

Anyway, I did it! I knew I would make mistakes, and I did, but I'm just thinking that this was the first of many open mics so it doesn't really matter. Adopt, adapt and improve.

No comments: