Monday 16 February 2009

Scrabble

Apologies for my absence... work is crazy. (As if anyone cares!)

I've started another songwriting class. And I've just written a new song called "Grace is Just Her Middle Name". Listen to it on my myspace page. I wrote it by this method:

I had a game of scrabble with my girlf. At the end I wrote down all the four or more letter words. Then I picked every other one. I then tried to include as many of these as I could in a song lyric.

For this exercise, 'grace' was the strongest word that I came up with so I based it around this. Once I came up with the phrase "Grace is just her middle name" I had the idea for the song. I was trying to write a new melody for it but I found myself singing it to a harmony I'd written the week before. So I followed that through to it's conclusion.

I debuted it at the songwriting class on Friday. The feedback I got was good. One person suggested leaving more gaps in there. I changed the arrangement a little and added bars here and there which have stretched it out a bit and actually made it easier to sing and to remember the lyrics.

I'm quite please with this one. I wrote it all within the space of a week too.

No comments: