Tuesday 21 October 2008

Why

Oh no, I've started yet another blog! Another site to maintain, more comments to check, more junkmail to get rid of. So why bother?

I've had a dream for a long time. It's one of my very specific ambitions that I have from time to time. It's to visit Portland, Oregon.

Why Portland, Oregon? I first heard about this place when I downloaded The Decemberists song "Red Right Ankle" after hearing about it on a random blog and finding out that they were from Portland. Further research led me to Hush Records and their catalogue. I've been mildly obsessed with Portland ever since as I imagine it to be a place that sweats musicians from the cracks in its pavements.

Since hearing that Decemberists song I've got heavily into music – joining bands; writing and recording my own songs; playing in a carnival band; playing bass... I love it.

So, today, I've decided... I'm not only going to go to Portland, Oregon. I'm going to perform a small gig there. There I've said it.

Now that I've said it I want this blog to be my account of how I go about doing it. I'm not a great musician by any standards... I'm actually a self-employed graphic designer from Brighton, UK. I don't believe in manifest destiny or anything like that. I think I just thrive on having obscure ambitions and this is one that I don't want to let go.

2 comments:

Craig said...

Good luck with that. Portland is a fantastic city.

Simon John Parkin said...

Thanks Craig. I'm a long-time FFF fan by the way.