Wednesday 28 October 2009

Cover

I'm chuffed with my new song. I keep going back on to MySpace to listen to it. I think it's very me.

I've bought myself a rhyming dictionary as I noticed when I was writing that song that I was getting stuck when thinking of rhyming words. I'm going to try using the rhyming dictionary next time to see if it helps.

But now I'm thinking about cover songs. I've wanted to cover a song for a while. I like it when a musician has just one cover song that they do really well. I heard my old band The Great Indoors again the other week and they did a version of The Rainbow Connection by Kermit the Frog. It was beautiful! I'd always thought that was a great song and Anjuli really did it justice. I didn't realise it has already been covered by quite a few people though. I think that's the main problem... finding a song that no-one else has covered. Plus you have to really like the song and have some sort of connection with it.

Anyway, I've been listening to Michael Hurley songs and I think they are ripe for the covering. I love The Tea Song as I think it's amazing to write a seven minute song about a cup of tea. My favourite line is "I don't care if she's left me/Just as long as the cupboard's full of tea". Amazing in it's simplicity. But, you know... that is what you do when someone leaves you or when you go through some big change in your life, drink endless cups of tea. But unfortunately I can't do those long notes and yodeling that he does in that song.

On the same album is Fat Mama, another beautiful song, which seems to have the same chords as a little chord sequence I've been playing with lately. So it'll either be that or The Werewolf Song - but Cat Power's done a version of that damn it!



No comments: