Friday 27 March 2009

Another

And another song! I'm churning them out!

We were set a brief in songwriting class to write a song with a refrain at the end of the verse using the theme and word 'corner'. I changed it a little. As I'd written a song last week I really didn't think I'd be able to come up with anything this week. But I had a bit of time off work and I used a chord sequence and melody that I already had and I came up with something that I'm really pleased with.

It's based on the fictional library in Richard Brautigan's The Abortion: An Historical Romance where people can bring books that they've written themselves and place them anywhere on the shelves.

The Public Library

"Imagine a room" he said
A library in his head
"Shelves full of stories that people will bring
With pages bound up there in paper and string"

His wishes came true that May
In bricks and plaster and clay
Paid for with charity, friendship and thrift
Built on the corner of Mission and Fifth

Some people came just to look
Or to bring their hopes in a book
Dreamers and authors were welcomed by him
Catalogued, stamped and their books held within

A novel called Victory
A six-year-old's poetry
Love Always Beautiful by Charlie Green
Placed on the corner of shelf forty-three

People and times grew hard
His library fell apart
Coffee shops sprang where the building once stood
Shelved and forgotten its doors closed for good

Now all of his books are boxed
Their words all tied-up and lost
Dust on their jackets and leaves turning brown
Scuffed on the corners and left facing down

No comments: