Wednesday 4 March 2009

Hate

I've written another song. We were set a short project in our songwriting class to write a song about someone who is in the public eye who we either hate or admire. I had a few ideas as there are a number of people on the telly who I hate... usually without particular reason, I just don't like the way they talk. Miquita Oliver, for instance, has a half-stoned drawl and a jumped-up arrogance that makes me want to punch her face in.

A couple of days later I was watching Grand Designs and shouting at the telly as usual. It featured the most boring couple I've ever witnessed. They had bought a castle, added a lego brick house on the side and filled it with plastic chairs so that they could sit at home and watch DVDs. Jesus... is that really what we're all meant to be aspiring to?

But that wasn't what wound me up the most. In his summing up of the finished Ikea meets Lancelot building, Kevin McCloud said "This building has a poetry to it."

What the hell has some yuppy's house got to do with poetry?!

And so I had found the subject of my hate song. It's about poetry getting its own back on Kevin McCloud

Houses Don't Know Poetry

Poetry will kick down your door tonight
Mask you up and leave you stripped outside
Poetry will crash your 4x4
Wipe your face in mud and metaphor

And walls won't help you now
Your facias let you down
And foundations will flee
From the scene
Cause houses don't know poetry

Poetry is not at fashion's call
It's not an ornament shown off in halls
It's not a book of rules, but a ransome note
It picks you up and grabs you by the throat

And mauve won't help you now
Your palettes let you down
And colour swatches flee
From the scene
Cause houses don't know poetry

And houses
Don't know a thing about poetry
And real estate
Isn't as real as you think it to be
And houses
Don't know a thing about poetry
Oh no...

No comments: