Wednesday 11 March 2009

Cock-ups

I did the Brunswick open mic night last night. I was a bit less nervous this time, probably because I was on first and there was hardly anyone there.

The first song I played I had the microphone angled too high and my lyrics were on the floor so I had to look up, sing, look down at the lyrics, look at what chord I was playing and then look up again to sing.

So for the next song I arranged my lyrics on a chair next to me and angled the microphone so I could look down at them. Half way through the song the microphone started to sag. I tried to lower my head closer to it but it carried on sagging. When that didn't work I tried singing louder. When that failed I stopped, apologised, adjusted the microphone, only for it to happen again ten seconds later. A girl in the audience jumped up and had a go with the microphone while I tried to carry on singing. She couldn't do it either. I joked to her "You'll have to stay there now". She did. She kindly held up the microphone until I'd finished. Why the sound man couldn't have helped I don't know! He eventually came and sorted the mic out and I did my last song without any major cock-ups.

Although it was all a bit shambolic, I did it quite calmly and I was able to pick the guitar without my hands turning to jelly. I'm starting to realise that performing live is a whole other ball game though and I need a lot more practice.

Listening to the other acts last night made me think about what I appreciate in music. There was a singer – very beautiful and with a fantastic voice – but I just thought: who cares? I'd much rather listen to someone interesting with something to say in their songs.

No comments: