Thursday 21 May 2009

Song

Singing and songwriting are on hold at the moment while I move house. But I'm still constantly thinking about it...

I went to an Ane Brun gig that was part of the Great Escape Festival in Brighton last weekend. She was amazing; like the last time I saw her at the Duke of Yorks in last year's Great Escape. And also like the last time I saw her I had to sit through two fucking awful bands before she came on.

It comes back to me over and over again that in music, it's all about the song. It doesn't matter if you've got an amazing voice, or if you've got virtuoso musicians around you, or a band with cool guitar sounds, or a fashionable 'name' singing with you. You can have all these things and more but if the song's shit it's always going to sound shit.

I'm also noticing how musicians present their songs. It just seems slightly arrogant when people don't introduce their songs; when they don't even say a word and try to look all gloomy. Ane Brun was warm with the audience and humbly introduced her songs and you instantly liked her.

But, more than anything, her songs are just brilliant.

No comments: