Wednesday 24 June 2009

Compare

Another open mic at the Brunswick last night. Not nearly as enjoyable as playing at my studio gig. There's just something about plugging in to an amp; it makes it stressful; more like a chore than an enjoyable experience. And it's really uncomfortable because you have to keep your head still to sing into the mic. I fluffed my lines and I could hear my voice going out of tune.

I had the usual out-of-body experience on stage. This time it was like dreaming about being on stage. It felt like I was in this room completely by myself, singing to nobody.

Interestingly, I didn't get nervous until I heard the people who were playing before me. It was then that I realised that I'm not as good as I am in my head. In my head I'm really quite good. But I don't often go out so I don't get the chance to compare myself to other musicians so there's only my past performances to compare myself against. And compared to me, I'm quite good!

No comments: