Tuesday 23 June 2009

Instrumentation

The next stage in recording my mini-album is to add extra instrumentation on to the songs that need it. I want to keep it all quite home-grown and a bit wonky sounding. On the weekend I bought a beauty of an instrument for this purpose. It's a little, blue, portable glockenspiel.

I've come up with a little melody to go over the chorus of 'Grace is Just Her Middle Name'. It matches the theme of the song perfectly as it's got that kiddy, girly, delicate, toy-like sound.

But I just don't know what to do with the other songs. I imagine orchestras on some of the songs but unfortunately I don't know any orchestras.

The main problem is that I just don't know music well enough to know what to put on there. It's all very well saying I would want an orchestra on a song, but what notes would they play?!

Ah well, I suppose it'll just take a bit of time to come up with the right instrumentations.

No comments: