Monday 14 December 2009

Enjoying

I've got an idea for a concept album. It's to do an album of songs based on birds. I've already got "All These Things" which is about a magpie/my girlfriend. And I've had an idea for a while to write a song using the metaphor 'as the crow flies'. I could write about 5 songs and have a cute little album.

I was worried that the songs I've made so far don't quite make an album because there's six of them. This is too much for an EP and not enough for an LP. I was thinking I had better wait until I had some more songs to complete it. But then, my new song, "All These Things", feels different to my other songs. So then it hit me: an album doesn't have to be ten songs long - and I don't have to call it an LP or and EP as I'm releasing it myself. I'm realising that I don't have to do anything in a particular way if I don't want to.

I'm under no pretensions: I'm not making a career out of this - I'm not good enough. So I may as well do things my own way. If I want to release a little CD of five or six songs then that's what I'll do!

This can be applied to lots of things in my music. I don't have to do pub gigs or gigs just to get exposure. I'm not bothered if my music is popular or not so I don't have to do any gigs if I don't want to.

I enjoyed the studio gig last week so much! And whenever I play at the open mic night it's just a bit of a let down. I want to push myself but there's really no need for me to do gigs that I don't enjoy. And realising this is very freeing. It's exciting! I can organise gigs in woods or in abandoned places.

I've just got to ask myself the one question: am I enjoying this?

These people from Múm are clearly enjoying it

Múm - Prophecies and Reversed Memories - A Take Away Show from La Blogotheque on Vimeo.

No comments: