Friday 11 December 2009

Tidy

I organised another gig in my studio last night. It was great! Everyone said they really enjoyed it and that it felt very special.

I did five of my songs first. Usually my voice is all wobbly on the first couple of songs but I think I did alright this time. I felt nervous but I wasn't panicking. My fingers were something else though. They had a mind of their own but I managed to calm them down towards the end of the first song.

Sarah played on a couple of my songs too. She played glockenspiel and melodica on Grace Is Just Her Middle Name and it made it sound amazing! It really makes them into proper songs when you have someone else playing on them. Her backing vocals on The Lepidopterist were great too. I really like Sarah's singing voice and I think it goes really well with my songs.

Next Sarah played a couple of her songs with me on bass - great to hear Sarah playing her songs - they're quite heart-breaking - in a good way! Then I played guitar and bass with Annie who's voice sounded amazing in the small studio space. I always think we sound better when we're unplugged. It's just like our rehearsals - nice and relaxed and we're just enjoying playing the music. And that is the whole idea of these studio gigs.

Finally Anjuli played her songs with Brendan as Crack-A-Jack Crow. She's such a star! So professional. Witty and charismatic on stage, she played a beautiful set. My studio colleague just walked in as I was typing this and raved about Anjuli, saying how she was just stunned when she started singing and couldn't believe that someone this amazing was playing at Studio 106.

Anjuli kindly played The Rainbow Connection for me. Thanks! I love that song so much.

For an encore I was persuaded (twisted my arm, honestly!) to play bass on a Great Indoors song, Working Overtime with Brendan and Anjuli. I hadn't practiced it so it was a bit nerve-wracking but at the same time I know it so well I could just look up and watch Brendan and Anjuli singing.

Now I've just got to go and tidy up!

No comments: