Tuesday 22 December 2009

Review

And so this is Christmas. Time to review my last year in music.

I've done quite a few open mic nights. That was a resolution I made last year: to do lots of open mic nights. It's been great practice but I'm starting to realise that I'm not that interested in them. They're not really showcasing my songs - you don't get long enough. And having to listen to all the other acts is tedious at best, confidence-shattering at worst.

My biggest achievement in 2009 has been the two Studio 106 gigs. They were both exactly how I wanted them to turn out: a good atmosphere and enjoyable for the performers as well as the audience. I think this is partly because most of the audience already knew each other and it was a friendly and supportive atmosphere. People were laughing with me (hopefully not at me!) when I went wrong on my songs. I definitely want to do more of these gigs and organise gigs in other places with the same ethos.

I finished another songwriting class in March. Songwriting classes were really useful. Mainly to have a place to showcase song ideas and to get feedback. I don't think I could really learn any more from the teacher even though she was very good at teaching. I just don't think songwriting can be taught that much. You can have a few pointers but then you just have to go and do it. And the only way to get better is to keep doing it.

I also met Sarah on the songwriting class and it's been great hooking up with her and playing music together. I want her to play more on my songs next year. I think her voice is perfect for my songs and I like it that she can play lots of different instruments. I'm desperately trying to write a song for the bagpipes for her to play and for me to sing.

I'd like to try and improve my voice next year, maybe with singing lessons. The last studio gig was a revelation in that it was the first time my voice didn't wobble with nerves. But still... it ain't great! I listened back to the videos Helen took of the night and my voice just isn't as good as it sounds in my head.

Next year I'd like to get my own recording set up. It's been great going over to Adam & Jayne's in Hastings to record but I'd like to be able to knock little CDs out quickly and cheaply. So I'm going to look into getting some decent recording equipment.

I'd like to carry on playing music with Annie but next year will also be the year of a new project that Brendan & Anjuli of The Great Indoors and Crack-A-Jack Crow are getting together with me playing bass. We haven't been able to get together for a rehearsal yet as we were snowed off last Friday. But I'm really excited about this project. I'll write more about this next year I'm sure.

The whole getting-to-Portland thing has kind of changed. I read recently someone saying that if you don't follow up on your plans straight away that they sour and I feel that has happened with my Oregon Bound idea. I'm just not that bothered any more. It's a shame that this blog is named Oregon Bound Music because it's actually turned out to be a nice way of keeping a record of my music-making progress and I don't want to abandon it just because I'm not so fussed about going to Portland any more. But you never know... things might change and I might get longings for West-coast America again. So, for now, Oregon Bound Music it is.

And that's it. My resolution will be the same as last year... do more music!

No comments: