Friday 31 October 2008

USP

I played guitar and bass with Annie Whittingham last night. (Or Amy Whittingham as it said on the poster. Or Annie Whittington as the host announced us.) The gig didn't go too well in my opinion. We sounded awful on stage, I'm just hoping it sounded a bit better in the audience.

But I did get something out of it, because, while I was listening to the other bands it made me think about what kind of an artist I might be. There was one guy who'd obviously been to Brighton Institute of Modern Music. He had a very trained voice. Robbie Williams clone. I'm not having a go because he was good, but I realised that I can't compete with singing like that. I don't want to. But that doesn't mean that my music's no good.

I think my Unique Selling Point, paarticularly when I listen to my song The Lepidopterist, is my unique songwriting. That's the one song that I'm really proud of. I think it's very me in that it tries to use big words to explain something that could be said much easier and it captures some really specific moments in previous relationships that I probably would have forgotten about otherwise.

And I think this is what I should focus on. There's no point me doing vocal gymnastics on stage because it would sound awful and it's not me and I'm setting myself up to fail. But if I can write some heartfelt, unique, quirky little songs like The Lepidopterist then I can go on stage with something I'm proud of.

No comments: